Thursday, November 27, 2008

Hope in the Holiday Season!

I worked tonight... Thanksgiving night. At the restaurant where I work, we have a Thanksgiving buffet. We had barely anyone in the restaurant all night. Now, being a manager, I should say that I was unhappy about that. However, let me tell the story from the beginning...

A couple years ago, I was the GM at another location of this restaurant. Our corporation mandated, for the first time, that we be open on Christmas Day. I went with a very skeleton crew, thinking that Christmas was "family time" and it would be ridiculous to even be open. Honestly, we were busier on Christmas Day than we were in the midst of summer... and this restaurant is in a very high volume tourist town. To me, that was very sad. We actually had families (Mom and Dad would come in with the kids and meet Gran and Gramp) come to our restaurant to exchange gifts! They may have just as well told Gran and Gramp... you know, I want whatever you're going to buy me, but I just don't want the bother of having you at my house or cooking or cleaning up. To me, it was very sad. Fast forward to this year....

Times are tighter, of that there is no doubt. Within the last couple of weeks, gas prices have fallen to a somewhat acceptable level, but that doesn't ease the burden for a lot of people who are barely making it anyway. What I am most happy about is the fact that my restaurant was not busy tonight. People were spending quality time with their families at home once again! I'm very happy that we were open to welcome those who have no family or no one to spend the Holiday with... that is what hospitality is all about. What I don't like is commercializing holidays, which are meant to be time for family to be together (for better or worse), and are meant to be close to home, not in some restaurant somewhere. I think that when people are forced to tighten their belts and rein in their spending, they are forced to take a good look around and see what is really important! Suddenly, it is not all about "he who dies with the most toys," it's about being a person and about being with people who have always been there for you, and who you would help out in any difficult situation. I'm happy we were slow tonight! I'm happy people were home with their families, enjoying that time that they will never get back. Each minute that passes is one that you should spend the best way you can. I agree that it's nice to go out to eat. Someone else will wait on you and you won't even have to clean up the mess... but certain occasions are made for being home, for cleaning up the mess, and for being with people to whom you are closest.

I have to say I'm glad we moved back home for this very reason. I don't think I'd want to be in the city for the Holidays this year... It just means more being from a small town and being able to be in that same small town during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that "city people" are any less caring or any less feeling. I just feel it more here, and I see it more here. Here people don't make some random donation to a "good cause." Here, people go to a neighbor's house who they know has had a hard time of late, and bring a casserole and stay to chat away an hour or two on a cold winter night. That neighbor may not have anything but a hot pot of coffee to share in return, but that's just fine. It's about the time you spend, and the people you touch... not the money you spend or the things you buy. I've felt so stiffled in this town for so long... but now that I've been gone, I see all of the good points and the things I never want to live without again. I've got a lot to be thankful for.....and so do you!

No comments: