Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Starting the Move!

Well, this weekend we are starting our move back home. In a way, I am happy to be leaving. Going home is always going home, and that is cool. In another way, there are a lot of things here I'm going to miss. Of course, I'm going to miss everyone I work with. I've had a lot of fun with these people in the last few months. I think we've really livened the place up and made it a much more enjoyable place to be. I will also miss the dining options in this larger town. There's not really many chain-type restaurants up north. I'll miss Famous Dave's, Olive Garden, Applebee's TGI Fridays, Noodles & Co., Panera Bread, Caribou Coffee, Zorba's Greek Restaurant, Outback Steakhouse...things like that. I'll miss Gander Mountain and Barnes and Noble, too. It was awesome having a "real" bookstore in town. I'll also miss Cabela's only being an hour away! That was the bomb when we were getting ready for fishing season this spring. Yes, yes, we can always shop online. I understand that. But sometimes it's just not the same.

I guess there are some things I won't miss, though: I won't miss seeing 15-20 cars in the ditch in the first five miles I have to travel on the freeway every single time it snows. Seriously, these people just do not slow down, no matter what the weather. I won't miss random violence... a person getting mugged in our parking lot, some other people being held up at gunpoint in a parking lot a block away, businesses getting broken into - things like that I definitely won't miss. I won't miss walking through Wal-Mart and realizing that there are very few people there who speak the same language as I do and who look at me as though I'm a foreigner. I still believe that, if you are going to live here, you should at least make the effort to speak English. Sorry. I'm old-fashioned that way. And I won't miss people who are so wrapped up in their own lives that they believe they are the only ones who exist on the planet. I don't mean to say that everyone down here is like that... just that I see it SO much more than I did up north. It's strange to me. Oh well. Everyone lives in their own way, I guess.

So, now that I have a huge cold and feel like doing nothing but sleeping, I have to pack the rest of my house and be ready to move in the next week. UG! It always seems to happen that way. I very rarely get sick, but when I do it's always at the most inopportune times. Such is life. The good news is that I only have to make that long drive round trip one more time! The next time I go it will be just one way. It will be good to be home before the Holidays.
That's all of today!
Laterzzzzzzzzz, Taterzzzzzzzzzzzz!

No comments: