Friday, September 26, 2008

Settling In

Well, we're back at the ol' homestead. We're only here for the weekend, but we'll be back for good next weekend. I'm really excited about it, actually. Never thought I'd see the day when I was happy to move back up here, but I guess a different perspective was all I needed. I'm not saying, in any way, that I never saw any good to this place. It's beautiful, really. The fishing is great. The people here are pretty down to Earth, too, which is good. I always thought this was a good place to grow up - and maybe to be old. But I never really saw much else in it. But I'm comfortable here. I just hope I can make a living here. I don't mean just getting by. I've done that here for many years. I am looking to make a real living this time. I don't know how or where, but that is my goal. I'm sure there are opportunites out there for me. At least I hope there are. lol. I guess that remains to be seen, doesn't it?

I'm pretty excited to have my gas stove back. That I can tell you for sure. I've never liked electric stoves but, when you are renting, that is pretty much what everything comes with. UGH!! I want heat when I turn it on, and none when I shut it off. I don't think that's too tough to ask. I want a visual clue that tells me that I am now ready to seer a steak and still have it come out medium rare. That's all I ask for.

Another thing I took for granted until the last year and a half... well water. Water that does not taste like you are drinking out of someone's swimming pool. Water that *gasp* actually gets cold!! Before we left from down south we were doing a lot of cleaning of rooms that we had vacated, doing dishes... my shower was last. Well, I discovered the capacity of our hot water heater about halfway through my shower. Luckily, city water never really gets cold. It gets cool... but never cold. There's nothing like a cold, cold, cold, crisp glass of water that comes straight out of the ground, I tell you! Nothing compares.

We got our phone and Internet hooked up today (if you didn't guess that from the fact that I am blogging today). The whole thing kind of puzzled me, though. My "appointment" was "somewhere between 8 am and 5 pm." Oh, okay. You can't give me an exact time so that I don't have to waste my entire day waiting around for your tech? No? Lemme see.... well, since there are NO other providers in the area, I guess that vague approximation of an appointment time will be fine. When the lady on the other end of the phone asked for a phone number where she could confirm the appointment the day before, it didn't really hit me. When my cell phone rang last night and an automated voice told me it would like to confirm my appointment for tomorrow and if I'd like to keep the appointment, please press one... then it dawned on me. If a person had a phone...why would they be calling the phone company to have a phone hooked up in their house? Now, I have a cell phone, and have forever and ever. But...what about the people who don't have cell phones? What do they do? Hmmm... I guess you have to have a phone to call and set up an appointment, but it still didn't make a lot of sense when I got off the phone. Oh well. Such is life. I have a home phone again and Internet access back home, so it's all good. Even if it doesn't make much sense.

The leaves are turning and falling everywhere, which is very pretty. I've always liked fall the best of all of the seasons. Of course, I know that fall brings winter, but I would just like to bask in the colors of fall before I think about the "other season" fast approaching. I do like a white Christmas. I just don't like the six months between January and March where winter's icy grip will not let up and it's dark out 83 hours per day. I guess I can just be glad I'm not an Eskimo! I don't think I could deal with that. I guess that's about all the babbling I have for today. I could rant about phone companies and such for a page or better... but I'll save that for another day.
Laterzzzzzzzz, Taterzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

No comments: